What Mandarin Chinese classes can we offer your family?
Ni Hao Children’s Community provide a fun and active “learning by doing” experience for your family. Our Mandarin Chinese( Huáyǔ 华语/華語, Guóyǔ 國語, Pǔtōnghuà 普通话) classes are group based sessions as we value the dynamics and interaction between the children and believe that having family involved in a positive way assists the child’s learning. Classes are categorised into different levels:
Early Learners, for 3 year olds and under
- 1 to 3 years old, though babies are welcome to join too! 🙂
- Parent/caregiver accompanied (but please keep adult social chatter for before or after class!).
- The parent/caregiver is expected to actively participate with their child in class, in vocabulary actions and class games, song and dance, as well as provide support for their child’s learning experience.
- 45 minutes, weekly group session, full immersion.
- 2 year programme (8 consecutive school terms), covering a range of practical topics and vocabulary, on a rotating curriculum.
Prep, for 4 and 5 year olds and School Year 1’s
- Drop off class / to encourage child’s independent thought & responses
- 55 minutes, weekly group session, full immersion.
- More language activities, a basic introduction to the Chinese writing strokes, with less nursery rhymes than the Early Learners level.
- 2 year (8 consecutive school terms) programme.
- Aligned with the School Age curriculum.
- Progression to School Age Foundation Level 1 based on age (the child moves to our Level 1 when they become a Year 2 at their school).
Levels 1 and above, for School Years 2+
- School Year 2+
- Drop off class
- Language activities, introduction to writing the vocabulary being learnt, song/raps, school yard games.
- 70 minutes, weekly group session, full immersion
- Progression to subsequent levels is dependent on confidence and skills developed & teachers’ observations and assessment at the end of the school year.
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us .
When and where are classes held?
We usually follow the NZ primary school terms and hold classes on Saturdays (Mt Cook in Wellington City). Please check our current class schedule for full details.